Notes on multiple Report Services (RS) instances on single server and one is setup for Sharepoint integrated mode (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326356.aspx):
- Ensure that all instances of Reporting Services are the same version. SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (SSRS) introduces an updated version of the Reporting Services Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) provider. You cannot have SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (SSRS) and pre-SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (SSRS) versions on the same computer.
- If you run SQL Server 2008 Setup for each report server instance at different times, restart the WMI service after you install the second instance of SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (SSRS).
Overview of Configuration Steps on a Report Server
To configure a report server for SharePoint integration, you must have an existing stand-alone report server or a scale-out deployment. You must perform the following tasks on the report server:
- Create a report server database in SharePoint integrated mode.This sets server properties on the report server and activates a new SOAP report server management endpoint that is used for integrated operations. Use the Reporting Services Configuration tool to create the database.
- For deployments that include a SharePoint server farm, install a Windows SharePoint Services Web front-end on the report server computer. The Web front-end joins the report server computer to a SharePoint farm. Installing the Web front-end on the report server computer is only necessary if you deploy the report server and the SharePoint technology instance on separate computers.
- For deployments that include placing the SharePoint databases on the same computer as the report server, configure the Report Server service to run under a domain account. This step is only necessary if the report server and application databases are one computer, and the SharePoint Web application is on another computer.
For best results you should install Reporting Services first and verify that you have a valid installation before you install the SharePoint product or technology.
The following list summarizes the deployment tasks you must perform:
- Install Reporting Services and Database Engine. If possible, choose the Install the SharePoint mode default configuration option when installing Reporting Services. Otherwise, you can select the Install but do not configure option and configure the server as a post-setup task.
- Configure the report server if it is not configured already, and verify you have a valid installation.
- Download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 redistributable package.
- Install Windows SharePoint Services or Office SharePoint Server 2007. Choose the Basic installation option.
- Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard and then open the SharePoint site to verify you have a valid installation.
- Download and install the Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Technologies.
- Configure the report server integration features in Central Administration.
Category: Sharepoint Backend
Published: 1/26/2010 3:17 PM