Working with Views for a Link list and found I needed to make custom modifications that required Sharepoint Designer.
Wanted the Grouping field to not show – as others have noted it can be redundant. Here is what I found,
To fix this requires SharePoint Designer…
- Create the grouped view in the browser as usual
- Open the site in SharePoint Designer
- Find the view file under the sites Lists: “name-of-list”
- Double-click the file to open it for editing
- Display the Code view
- Search for GroupByField
- Delete all of this text:
<GetVar Name="GroupByField" HTMLEncode="TRUE"/><HTML><![CDATA[</a> : ]]></HTML>
- Display the Design view and confirm that the change is what you wanted.
- Save the file – there will be warning of customizing the site definition – this is ok – its what you are doing.
- Test in the site in the browser
*NOTE: any changes to the view within Sharepoint will overwrite the above customization!